Barony of the Golden Wolf
- Up until about 60 years ago all the lands currently part of the Barony were under the shadow of a powerful black dragon named Avariux. He and his brood were the undisputed masters of the area and throngs of kobold tribes served them. There were a smattering of villages and towns, but they were at the mercy of the dragons and kobolds.
- A mercenary band, lead by Eric Vallagar (also known as the Golden Wolf) showed up and seized the town of Night’s End. The band was fairly small, but skilled and well-equipped. Although there wasn’t much in the way of record-keeping during those times, it’s understood that at first both the humanoid populace and the dragons regarded the mercenaries as a minor threat. Over the course of a decade, however, the Golden Wolf won battle after battle and eventually hunted down Avariux’s kin and killed them, scattering the easily frightened kobolds. In a climactic final, the band forced Avariux himself to confront them and they emerged victorious.
- The Golden Wolf named himself Baron of the newly freed lands and set up his capitol in Night’s End.
- Kobold tribes and other, more potent threats still plague the Barony and moving un-escorted between towns is very dangerous. The Baron’s knights (now called the Order of the Golden Flame) patrol the town and roads and generally respond to emergencies whenever they can. The Knights are well-trained and always equipped with magical weapons and armor.
- Although Eric Vallagar is still alive and is technically still the Baron, he has passed most leadership duties and the title of the Golden Wolf to his son Kennes, who is now in his 40’s.
Area: ~26,000 square miles
Population: 1,216,000 (25% Human, 20% Dwarf, 15% Halfling, 15% Dragonborn, 10%
Tiefling, 5% Elf, 5% Half-Elf, 4% Eladrin, 1% Other)
Capitol: Night’s End... 19,000